February is recognized as Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month!
About 1-in-10 teens who have been on a date have also been physically, sexually, emotionally or verbally abused by a boyfriend or girlfriend in the last year.
Many organizations use this month to raise awareness about teen dating violence and to also highlight prevention efforts.
Here is a list of national and local organizations that specialize in domestic and sexual violence prevention:
- Dating Matters – the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- La Luz Org
- Latino Community Development Agency
- Love is Respect
- My Body…My Life – Norman
- The Oklahoma Coalition Against Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault (OCADVSA)
- The Rape Prevention Education Program (RPE) – Oklahoma State Department of Health
- Women’s Resource Center – Norman
- YWCA OKC